A popular feature of many high-end juice bars is the Acai bowl. This health-packed menu item is loaded with great energy promoting ingredients that are vitamin and mineral rich. The Acai berry itself is a great superfood berry that comes from the Amazon forest and is harvested sustainably. Most juiceries make Acai bowls as a frozen treat with added ingredients like fruit, greens like spinach or kale, or nuts or peanut or almond butters. needless to say they are all good and make a great replacement for ice cream or frozen yogurt. If you don’t happen to live near a place that makes blended specialty drinks you can also make one at home. All that you need is a blender and some frozen Acai. There are essentially two main brands of the frozen berry puree sold in most stores…Sambazon and Amafruit. You get 4 packs for about $7.00. Stores like Whole Foods and some other major supermarkets carry them in the frozen fruit sections. Trader Joes also carries their own brand for around $5.00. Don’t know what to put in your bowl? well here is a good starter recipe but feel free to change it up to your own tastes…
Nutty Acai bowl recipe
- 2 packs Acai Puree
- 1 cup filtered spring water
- 1 Tbs Peanut Butter
- 1/2 Cup ground peanut chunks or granola
- 2 bananas
- 2 tbs raw cacao nibs – optional
- Run Acai packs under warm water to loosen plastic pack from frozen puree.
- Cut open pack and squeeze puree into blender.
- add bananas, peanut butter, and water into blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into medium bowl.
- Add peanut chunks or granola to top along with cacao
- For more frozen bowl use frozen bananas and less water.
- If you have a peanut allergy then remove peanut butter and top off with cut up apple chunks in place of peanut chunks.
For more info on Acai and its origins and harvesting try one of these sites: